Sunday, February 3, 2013

Beta Blockers are a Girl's Best Friend

Around the time I was a sophomore in college, I noticed my heart would start racing for no apparent reason, along with an occasional palpitation.  I had a blood test done and we found out that I was slightly hyperthyroid (my thyroid stimulating hormone was slightly low causing my thyroid gland to produce more hormone than it should).  While this seemed to help my metabolism, it was quite a bother.  My heart would start to race or palpitate, and in turn would give me a panic attack.  I'm not sure if they work hand in hand, but I've started to notice a correlation between when I'm hormonal and when I am most anxious.  I went to see an Endocrinologist (whom I continue to see presently) and while my TSH wasn't at a level that would require treatment of the thyroid gland itself, we could treat my symptoms of racing heart and palpitations with a beta blocker, which I could take on an "as needed" basis.  Also known as the stage fright drug, it has helped me immensely in the past years.  I did have to stop taking it during my three pregnancies, but in those moments when my heart starts to race and I begin to get those feelings of panic, it has been a big help.  I don't like to take it regularly as I'm not a fan of putting chemicals in my body so I usually wait until I know I need it.

The correlation between hormones and feelings of panic have been a focus of mine over the past couple of years.  I often notice my heart racing more and having increasing feelings of anxiousness around specific times in my monthly cycle.  If anyone is out there, have any of you noticed this in your lives?  If you haven't noticed, I would suggest to try keeping track for a couple months to see if you notice any kind of correlation.  I find that my anxiousness is a little easier to control when I can understand what is going on with my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment